Wednesday, March 4, 2009

manners

I admit it, I did not attend the Emily Post academy of good manners, but I do like Miss Manners column.

Being a charm school dropout, i am not cultivated in all social graces, but for the love of pete would a little common courtesy kill us?

I had to pay a speeding ticket. In line with several people I waited to plead guilty or innocent and have my fee reduced by the kindly DA at the end of the line who took his morning for this purpose.

A gentleman, we are blessed with those in the south, opened the door for a lady carrying a load and the broad says to him "your moms proud of ya"
my jaw dropped, she went through the security door (lucky for her) and I exclaimed
"what the hell was that?"
People looked surprised and I went on to expliain "a thank you is all she needed to say. Why in hell would you be rude to someone offering you a courtesy. what a bitch"

Yes, i've covered my lack of ladylike decorum in these circumstances before. the gentleman in question seemed shocked at my response. Honestly, women complain about men all the time, its a wonder they bother with women at all. To be off the cuff rude to someone who was nice to you is inexcusable. I wanted to box her ears!

Back in the 80's when Cosmopolitan magazine was considered the women's bible (May God have mercy) there was an article listing smart alec responses to men's sexist behaviour. such behaviour including, opening the door, offerein to help with our coats or pulling a chair for us to sit down.

Please. Bring me a time when these are the most serious offenses a man can make against a woman and I will never say another word against chewing tobacco, fart jokes, or the obsession they have with cars.

Anyway I complimented the young man on his manners and apologized for this woman's lack of refinement. So the battle rages between my biker half and the part that remembers etiquette class and dressing in lace.

In closing, be kind to men. They have suffered with woman''s sufferage far longer than they should have with the conflicting ideas and the constant beratement. Give him the remote, make some supper and give him a backrub. He earned it.

No comments: